Promotions and Tenure
If you are on track for a promotion in the near future, please talk to your division or section chief and review the following information carefully.
- Regularly update your promotion documents, including your CV, teaching portfolio and service portfolio. Please do not wait until promotion time!
- Read the Emory School of Medicine's Guidelines on Appointment, Promotion and Tenure (PDF) and discuss with your division director and mentor. Additional information on the Senior Promotion Process is available online from the School of Medicine.
- Attend a CV Review Session, where a member of the Promotions & Tenure Subcommittee will help you know if you're on track.
- Select the right track! Use the Am I on the Right Track document (PDF) for an overview of all four tracks.
Curriculum Vitae (CV)
The Emory University School of Medicine format is required by the dean's office for all promotion packets.EndNote Style file for use with updating the bibliography portion. You may need to save the above file into the "styles" folder under Program Files > EndNote. Having trouble with EndNote? Ask a Librarian for help!
All candidates who are proposed for appointment or promotion in the School of Medicine are required to document their teaching activities and evaluations in a teaching portfolio.
The service portfolio provides faculty with the opportunity to highlight their service to patients, students, junior faculty, professional societies, and the Emory community, in addition to emphasizing service on a national level.
- Be at least two pages and no more than five pages.
- Convey to people who do not know you your background, expertise, passion and plans for the future.
- Discuss what you have done, what you are currently doing and what you plan to do in the next five years. Describing future plans is extremely important.
- Write in the first person (I plan, I am, I will...).
- Be passionate in your writing.
Information for Selecting Evaluators
The DOM Faculty Development Promotion and Tenure Subcommittee reviews all senior level promotion packets as a first step in the process. Because of their experience, they are able to offer valuable advice to faculty members who are interested in learning if they are on the path to promotion.
The next CV Review Session is set for Tuesday, October 11th from 8:00 - 10:00 a.m. Attendance is limited due to one-on-one reviews and registration is required.
Contact Katie Davis at email@example.com for more information.