Friday, 10/28 | 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. | Cox Hall Ballroom | Registration required
Schedule of Events:
|8:00 - 8:15||Registration and Welcome|
|8:15 - 8:30||Featured Research
Jonathan Colasanti, MD, MSPH (Infectious Diseases): "The HIV care continuum: Looking beyond cross-sectional retention and viral suppression"
Winner of the 2016 Outstanding Scientific Citation Award (Clinical/Translational - Junior Faculty)
|8:30 - 9:30||Oral Presentation Session I
8:30: Melissa Stevens, MD (Hospital Medicine): "EQUiPPED Expansion: Results from a multi-site quality improvement initiative to change prescribing practices in VA Medical Center Emergency Departments (EDs)”
8:45: Lin Tan, PhD (Cardiology): "Role of thyroid hormone in postnatal heart growth"
9:00: Michele Payne, MPH (Infectious Diseases): “Safety, immunogenicity and acceptability of inactivated influenza vaccine delivered by microneedle patch”
9:15: Amit Shah, MD, MSc. (Cardiology): "An electrocardiogram-based risk equation for incident cardiovascular disease from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey"
|9:30 - 10:15||Poster Session I|
|10:15 - 10:30||Featured Research
Jyothi Rengarajan, PhD (Infectious Diseases): "Host biomarkers of tuberculosis immunity"
Winner of the 2015 Outstanding Scientific Citation Award (Basic Science - Junior Faculty)
|10:30 - 11:30||Oral Presentation Session II
10:30: Laura Plantinga, PhD (Renal Medicine/General Medicine and Geriatrics): "Timing of readmissions among U.S. hemodialysis patients"
10:45: Clintoria Williams (Renal Medicine): "NADPH oxidase-2 mediates zinc deficiency-induced oxidative stress and kidney damage"
11:00: Isabel Anzola, PhD (Endocrinology): "Use of oral agents (DPP4 inhibitors) for the management of patients with type 2 diabetes: Sita-Hospital Trial"
11:15: S. Kusuma Pokala (Digestive Diseases): “Predictors of lymph node involvement in early stage gastric adenocarcinoma in the United States"
|11:30 - 12:00||
|12:00 - 12:15||Group Photo|
|12:15 - 1:15||Lunch|
|1:15 - 2:15||Keynote Talk
Kenneth Covinsky, MD, MPH (University of California San Francisco): "Disability, function, and quality of life in the older patient"
|2:15 - 3:00||Poster Session II|
|3:00 - 3:45||Oral Presentation Session III
3:00: Brandon Johnson (Cardiology): "Isolation of a highly angiogenic subpopulation of CD31+ cells"
3:15: Chungwen Wei, PhD (Rheumatology): "B-cell profile as a biomarker of disease segmentation and flare prognosis in SLE"
3:30: Sushma Cribbs, MD (Pulmonary): "Antioxidants improve lung immunity and T-cell proliferation in immune non-responders"
|3:45 - 4:15||Featured Research
Arshed Quyyumi, MD (Cardiology): "Precision medicine: Identifying high risk subjects with cardiovascular disease”
Winner of the 2016 R. Wayne Alexander Excellence in Research Accomplishment Award
|4:15 - 4:45||Research Accomplishments and Awards Presentation
David S. Stephens, MD
Chair, Department of Medicine
Vice President for Research, Woodruff Health Sciences Center
Chief of Medicine, Emory Healthcare
Information for Poster Presenters
Templates and printing
Files should be sent directly to the printing organizations listed on our website - preferably in PDF with the size you want printed, along with your contact information, and if/when you would like to see a proof and due date. The vast majority of poster boards are approximately 4 feet by 6 feet; however, due to high participation this year we may have to use some of our foam boards which are a slightly smaller size. Therefore, to be safe, we recommend you print your poster on the 3 foot by 5 foot (36x60 inch) size. Pushpins will be available at the event. Our website also contains optional templates you can use to create your poster. Please note that Emory’s copy and print service shop receives a large number of requests for this event, and therefore, there are no guarantees that last-minute requests can be fulfilled. Please plan ahead.
Want any feedback on you poster presentation?
The Department of Medicine’s Consult Program offers a consultation on oral and poster presentations to DOM faculty. However, for the purpose of preparing for this one event, we will gladly accept requests from all poster presenters (including those who are not faculty members) if the request is submitted via this link by no later than September 30.
If you wish to be considered to receive an award, you will need to be physically present at your poster during the poster session in which your poster will be judged (to be emailed to you soon) to interact with the judges and at the end of the day when the awards are given (view schedule above) so please make sure now that you are available for both sessions as we have to assign based on the judges’ availability. Posters will be judged on the abstract score, the visual appearance, the science, and your interaction with the judge. There will be a 1st, 2nd and 3rd place award in each of the two categories of Basic Science and Clinical/Quality/Health Services Research.
Please note: Awards will be given only to the one presenting author submitted, regardless of how many co-authors or co-investigators were involved in the research.
If you do not wish to be considered for an award, then you are not technically required to be at your poster during the poster sessions, although we strongly encourage you to do so to interact with other researchers.
Please be on the lookout for one more email from us with more specifics once we are able to match you with poster judges and assign sessions! Those who are assigned to the morning session will need to mount their poster by no later than 7:45 AM on Friday, October 28 and take it down between 12:15-12:45pm. Those assigned to the afternoon will need to mount their poster between 12:45-1:15pm and remove it after the awards ceremony, which usually ends around 4:45.
We look forward to seeing you at DOM Research Day! If you have any questions, please contact us at DOMresearch@emory.edu.
Past Research Day Event Information:
The annual Emory Department of Medicine Research Day has celebrated research efforts across the Department of Medicine since 2008. The event brings together researchers from all divisions and provides an opportunity to share exciting new findings, facilitate scientific exchange and identify potential new collaborations. All members of the department, including postdoctoral fellows, residents and students, are encouraged to participate.
The full-day program includes both oral and poster presentations as well as a keynote address from a distinguished leader in academic medicine. Awards are given at the conclusion of the day to recognize the most outstanding presentations of the day.
Congratulations to the 2015 award winners:
Clinical, Quality, and Health Services Research Posters
1st Place: Ho Lim Lee (Renal Medicine)
2nd Place: Salim Hayek, MD (Cardiology)
3rd Place: Carlos del Rio, MD (Infectious Diseases)
Basic Science Posters
1st Place: Christopher Tipton, PhD (Rheumatology)
2nd Place: Xian Fan, PhD (Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine)
3rd Place: Tie: Masakazu Fujii, MD, PhD (Cardiology) and Alejandra Valdivia Cortes, PhD (Cardiology)
Outstanding Oral Presentation – Basic Science
Samantha Yeligar, PhD (Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine)
*$1,000 to be used toward research costs.
Download materials from this event:
- Edward J. Benz, Sr., MD Memorial Research Award and Outstanding Oral Presentation - Basic Science: Abdul Malik Tyagi (Endocrinology)
- Outstanding Oral Presentation - Clinical/Quality/HSR: Amanda Marie James (Cardiology)
- 1st Place Basic Science Poster: Matt Hudson (Nephrology)
- 2nd Place Basic Science Poster: Emily Blalock (Rheumatology & Immunology)
- 3rd Place Basic Science Poster: Alicia Lyle (Cardiology)
- 1st Place Clinical Poster: TIE - Elizabeth Iffrig (Cardiology) and Saumeth Cardona (Endocrinology)
- 2nd Place Clinical Poster: Jonathan Colasanti (Infectious Diseases)
- 3rd Place Clinical Poster: TIE - Jesse Couk (Infectious Diseases), Erik Renz (General Medicine & Geriatrics) and Barrett Bowling (General Medicine & Geriatrics)
Award Winner Abdul Malik Tyagi, Endocrinology
- Edward J. Benz, Sr., MD Memorial Research Award and 1st Place Basic Science Poster: Christopher Tipton (Rheumatology/Immunology)
- 2nd Place Basic Science Poster: Samantha Yeligar (Pulmonary)
- 3rd Place Basic Science Poster: David Brown (Cardiology)
- 1st Place Clinical Poster: Kira Newman (Hospital Medicine)
- 2nd Place Clinical Poster: Khuram Ashraf (Cardiology)
- 3rd Place Clinical Poster: Elizabeth Held (Cardiology)
- Outstanding Oral Presentation - Basic Science: TIE - Ronald Trible (Infectious Diseases) and Nawazish Naqvi (Cardiology)
- Outstanding Oral Presentation - Clinical/Quality/HSR: TIE - Madeleine Hackney (General Medicine and Geriatrics) and Melissa Stevens (Hospital Medicine)
View photos from Research Day 2014
Award Winner Chistopher Tipton
- Outstanding Oral Presentation – Basic Science: Samantha Yeligar (Pulmonology)
- Outstanding Oral Presentation – Clinical: Ronnie Ramadan (Cardiology)
- 1st Place Clinical Poster: Christian Overgaard (Pulmonology)
- 2nd Place Clinical Poster: Jenna McLendon (Nephrology)
- 3rd Place Clinical Poster: Danny Eapen (Cardiology)
- 1st Place Basic Science Poster: 2-way tie! Matthew Hudson (Nephrology) and Candace Adamo (Cardiology)
- 2nd Place Basic Science Poster: 3-way tie! Bernard Lassègue (Cardiology), Hope Gole (Cardiology), Nawazish Naqvi (Cardiology)
- 3rd Place Basic Science Poster: 3-way tie! S. Raju Datla (Cardiology), Myra Woodworth-Hobbs (Nephrology), Ioannis Parastatidis (Cardiology)
- Outstanding Oral Presentation (tie): Monnie Wasse, Renal Medicine and Ruth Grossmann, Endocrinology
- 1st Place Clinical Poster: M. Neale Weitzmann, Endocrinology
- 2nd Place Clinical Poster (tie): Sushma Cribbs, Pulmonology Amit Shah, Cardiology
- 1st Place Basic Science Poster: Angelica Amanso, Cardiology
- 2nd Place Basic Science Poster: Martina Weber, Cardiology
- 3rd Place Basic Science Poster: Bum-Yong Kang, Pulmonology