Ultrasonography for Nephrologists Course
Emory offers a CME-accredited, comprehensive two-day training course that includes both didactic and practical training in ultrasonography for nephrologists. This training covers all aspects of ultrasonography for nephrologists, including:
- Diagnostic imaging of native kidneys and allografts,
- Percutaneous biopsy of native kidneys and allografts,
- End-stage kidneys, bladder, ultrasound guidance for venous access,
- Coding, billing, reporting, and equipment.
No prior training or experience required.
Please read information below carefully prior to contacting us with questions.
November 17-18, 2018
Children's Healthcare of Atlanta (CHOA) Conference Center rooms 5,6,7
1405 Clifton Road, Atlanta, GA 30322
Parking on Uppergate Drive
Pre-registration is required
- Space is limited to 24, so early registration is strongly encouraged.
- There is no on-site registration, as we cannot accommodate extra attendees.
- You must receive confirmation to attend. If unsure, please email Aires.Morrison@choa.org.
Courses are scheduled approximately 3 times per year.
Cancellation policy. Because there are usually more people wanting to attend than there is room, cancellations often deprive someone of the opportunity to attend and are occurring at increasing frequency. Therefore we have had to institute the following policy:
- If registration is not full, then cancellations receive a 100% refund (or credit towards the next course). If cancellation is less than one week before the course, the refund is 75%.
- If the registration is full and we are able to fill the slot, the refund (or credit towards the next course) is 100%, otherwise the refund is 50%
Please email Aires.Morrison@choa.org.
Dr. Charles O’Neill is a Professor of Medicine in the Renal Division at Emory University School of Medicine, where he has directed the Renal Ultrasonography Program since 1994. He has extensive experience in teaching and training nephrologists in ultrasonography, including workshops at the National Kidney Foundation and the American Society of Nephrology national meetings and World Congress of Nephrology meetings. He is a founding member, past-president, and current chairman of the Ultrasound Committee of the American Society of Diagnostic and Interventional Nephrology
Kevin Rooker, RT, RDMS, RVT is an ultrasound consultant based in the Dallas - Fort Worth region of Texas. He has over 30 years of clinical experience in the field of ultrasound. Mr. Rooker has been involved in the didactic and hands-on training of physicians and sonographers throughout the United States for over 25 years. He is a member of the American Institute of Ultrasound Medicine, as well as the Society of Diagnostic Medical Sonographers and Society of Vascular Technology.
- 8:00 - 8:30 - Registration and breakfast
- 8:30 - 9:30 - Practical physics of sonography
- 9:30 - 10:00 - Knobology
- 10:00 - 10:15 - Break
- 10:15 - 11:15 - Imaging techniques: diagnostic, biopsy, vascular access
- 11:15 – 12:30 - Hands-on session: normal kidneys, biopsy guidance
- 12:30 - 1:30 - Lunch
- 1:30 - 2:30 - Interpretation: Developing a mindset for interpreting ultrasonography
- 2:30 - 4:30 - Hands-on session: cysts, stones, hydronephrosis, neoplasms, vascular access
- 4:30 - 5:30 - Interpretation: cysts, stones, hydronephrosis, artifacts, normal variants
- 8:00 – 8:30 - Breakfast
- 8:30 - 9:15 - Interpretation: parenchymal disease, vascular disease, neoplasms
- 9:15 - 9:45 - Sonography of the lower urinary tract
- 9:45 - 10:30 - Sonography in renal transplantation
- 10:30 - 12:30 - Hands-on session: ESRD, vascular access, transplant, practice scan and interpretation
- 12:30 - 1:30 - Lunch
- 1:30 - 2:15 - Logistics: costs, coding, reporting, records, quality assurance
- 2:15 - 2:45 - Interpretation: other abdominal organs
- 2:45 - 3:30 - Hands-on session: bladder and general abdominal, practice interpretation, report writing and data storage
- 3:30 - 4:00 - Interpretation: practice studies
- 4:00 - Adjourn
• How often is the course held?
The course is given approximately 3 times per year. If no dates are listed or you are unable to attend the dates listed please email Aires Morrison (Aires.Morrison@choa.org)
• Are there prerequisites for attending the 2-day course?
Physicians and non-physicians may attend and no prior experience is required.
• What if the course is sold out and registration for the next course is not open yet?
Email Aires.Morrison@choa.org to be put on the waiting list. Before the registration is open to everyone, we will contact you and you will be given 2 weeks to register before the registration is open to others.
• Is the course appropriate for pediatric nephrologists?
Yes. Almost all the material covered is applicable to pediatrics. Some additional pediatric material will be covered but scanning will be done exclusively on older children and adults.
• Is ultrasound of vascular access covered in the course?
There is limited coverage of this topic, including one lecture and two hands-on sessions.
• Is there any required reading or recommended preparation?
No. However, you will need to bring a laptop computer.
• Are there discounts for trainees (fellows)?
• Can I stay for the week after the course for the mini-fellowship?
These mini-fellowship slots are usually reserved for attendees traveling overseas, but occasionally are available to others. If you are coming from overseas and want to schedule a future course followed by a mini-fellowship, please contact email@example.com.
If you have additional questions about the 2-day course, please contact Aires.Morrison@choa.org.
Courtyard Atlanta Decatur Downtown/Emory (recommended) 404-371-0204 - This hotel is located in downtown Decatur, less than 3 miles from Emory and a very short walk from many restaurants, coffee shops, pubs and shops, and the MARTA station which runs trains to the Atlanta Airport. Free shuttle to Emory campus.
- Emory Conference Center Hotel and Emory Inn 800-933-6679 or 404-712-6565 -Within walking distance to Emory campus and some restaurants. Shuttle service to campus.
University Inn at Emory Reservations: 800-654-8591 -A short walk to the Emory campus. Shuttle Service available
Holiday Inn Express Atlanta-Emory University Area 800 972 2404 or 404-320-0888 -About a mile and a half from the Emory campus (inquire about shuttle service).