Carlos (Alberto) Moreno, MD
Associate Professor of Medicine
Emory University School of Medicine
Malaria Vaccine Development
- Identification and characterization of Plasmodium universal T cell epitopes
- Design and testing polypeptide vaccine chimeras based on subunits.
- Conduct preclinical vaccine trials using rodent and simian experimental models.
- Identify effector mechanisms involved in protection to malaria that can be used as predictors of vaccine efficacy in clinical trials.
- Cross-sectional studies in endemic areas of malaria aimed to identify the prevalence of immune response to selected malaria vaccine candidates.
Physiopathology of Severe Malaria
- Identify molecular mechanism involved in the pathogenesis of severe anemia using simian plasmodium models.
- Characterize erythroid progenitors derived from malaria infected animal models.
- Design and testing intervention measures to improve the clinical outcome of severe malaria.