The roots of our division began the World War II era with the recruitment of Paul Bruce Beeson to Grady Memorial Hospital by Dr. Eugene Stead. Dr. Beeson, who later became Chair of Medicine at Emory and then at Yale University, founded the Infectious Diseases Program at Emory in 1942. Dr. Charles A. LeMaistre initiated the Infectious Diseases clinical program at Emory University in 1954. Since Drs. Beeson and LeMaistre, the Emory has had five distinguished and honored Chiefs of Infectious Diseases. Dr. Stephens, the current Director of the Division of Infectious Diseases, was appointed to this post in 1992.
During the past decade under the leadership of Dr. Stephens, the Emory Division of Infectious Diseases has experienced unparalleled growth and development. There are currently fifty-six faculty members in the Emory ID Division who, between Grady Memorial Hospital, the Atlanta VA, Emory University Hospital, Emory Midtown, Emory Orthopedic and Spine Hospital, and the Wesley Woods Center have garnered in excess of $30 million in research funding per year (the most of any Division in the Department of Medicine). Emory Infectious Diseases of today has entered the 21th Century leading advances in clinical Infectious Diseases and HIV care, Research in pathogenesis, virology and immunology, Epidemiology, Diagnostics, and Vaccine development.
The formal subspecialty training program in Infectious Diseases started in the late 1960s with Charles Hamilton, MD, and Dororthy Karandanias, MD as the first trainees. To date, 126 physicians have completed Infectious Diseases fellowship training in the program. Over the past decade, 83% of the fellows completing the Emory ID fellowship training program have pursued careers in academic medicine or public health. More than 40% of these trainees have been women and 14% are members of an underrepresented minority group.