John Paul Norvell, MD
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Department of Medicine
Dr. Norvell is originally from the Washington, DC area and moved to Atlanta in 2012 when he started practicing medicine. He completed Medical School at Vanderbilt School of Medicine in Nashville, TN. For his Internal Medicine Residency, Gastroenterology and Hepatology Fellowship, and Advanced Transplant Hepatology Fellowship, he attended Northwestern University in Chicago, IL.
He likes to travel “as much as possible.” Additionally, he enjoys photography and the occasional marathon or triathlon.
Dr. Norvell earned a Certificate of Added Qualification in Transplant Hepatology in 2012.
Areas of Clinical Interest: Complications of portal hypertension including gastroesophageal varices; Non-invasive imaging to assess liver inflammation/fibrosis, steatosis, and hemosiderosis; Hepatitis C virus; Hepatocellular carcinoma; Liver transplantation; Post-transplantation care; Endoscopy
Specialties: General hepatology and Transplant hepatology
Honors and/or Awards:
2014: Shanti V. Sitaraman Oustanding Teaching Award, Emory University School of Medicine
American Association for the Study of Liver Disease
American Society of Transplantation
American Board of Internal Medicine Certifications:
Internal Medicine, 2005
* Norvell JP, Spivey J. Hepatic hydrothorax. Clinics in Liver Disease, 2014: 18(2): 439-49.
* Norvell JP, Levitsky J. Donor and recipient effects on graft and patient survival. Clinical Liver Disease, August 2013: 2(4) 152-155.
* Levitsky J, Fiel MI, Norvell JP, Wang E, Watt KD, Curry MP, Tesani S, McCashland TM, Hoteit MA, Shaked A, Saab S, Chi AC, Tien A, Schiano TD. Risk for immune-
mediated graft dysfunction in liver
transplant recipients with recurrent HCV infection with pegylated interferon. Gastroenterology, 2012.
* Van Wagner L, Baker T, Ahya S, Norvell JP, Wang E, Levitsky J. Outcomes of patients with hepatitis C undergoing simultaneous liver-kidney transplantation. J of
Hepatology. 2009: 51: (5):874-880.
* Norvell JP, Blei A, Jovanovic B, Levitsky J. Herpes simplex virus hepatitis: an analysis of the published literature and institutional cases. Liver Transplantation, 2007:
Comparison of Multiparametric MRI to liver biopsy for non-invasive diagnosis of liver disease.
Sub-PI for Extracorporeal liver support system (ELAD) for severe alcoholic hepatitis and acute liver failure.