Vasileios Gkogkas, MD, PhD
Instructor of Medicine
Emory University School of Medicine
Dr. Gkogkas is Instructor of Medicine in the Division of Cardiology at Emory University School of Medicine. Dr. Gkogkas is a 2002 graduate of the University of Athens Medical School. He completed his residency and fellowship in Interventional Cardiology in 2010 and defended his Ph.D. thesis entitled: "Multimodality Imaging of the Long-term Vascular Responses Following Implantation of Metallic and Bioresorbable Devices” at Erasmus University, Rotterdam in 2014.
Dr. Gogas received the 2012-2013 Cardiovascular Translational Research Award of the American College of Cardiology Foundation which allowed him to expand his research portfolio toward the investigation of the efficacy, pre-clinical safety and mechanobiology of novel coronary stents such as bioresorbable scaffolds and next generation of metallic stents. He has a leadership role in the Emory University’s Cardiovascular Imaging and Biomechanics Core Laboratory, where he is supervising the research programs which study the interaction of fluid and solid mechanics with coronary stents.
Dr. Gogas, has an h-index of 19 after publishing over 55 papers in recognized Interventional Cardiology academic journals with a total number of 908 citations. He was recently appointed CME Editor of JACC Cardiovascular Interventions.
Honors and Awards
- 2010 - Best Challenging Case Award, 22nd Annual Scientific Sessions of Transcatheter Cardiovascular Therapeutics (TCT)
- 2012-2013 - American College of Cardiology Foundation (ACCF)/International Society of Cardiovascular Translational Research (ISCTR) Award
Other Experience and Professional Memberships
- 2009-2012 - Editorial Board Member, EuroIntervention
- 2010 - present - Member, European Society of Cardiology
- 2012 - present - Member, European Association of Percutaneous Coronary Interventions
- 2014-2016 - Member, American College of Cardiology (ACC)
- 2014 - present - Fellow, American College of Cardiology (FACC)
- 2016 - present - CME Editor, JACC Cardiovascular Interventions
- 2012 - present - EuroIntervention
- 2010 - present - JACC: Cardiovascular Interventions
- 2013 - present - International Journal of Cardiology
- 2014 - present - Trends in Cardiovascular Medicine
- 2015 - present - Journal of Interventional Cardiology
- 2016 - present - JACC: Basic to Translational Research
- 2016 - present - Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology